..AND INSIDE LOOKING OUT (for music related posts, please follow the link 'My Jukebox' listed under the blogs on this site) :)

Tuesday, April 25, 2006

KITCAT UPDATE
As a novice cook trying to feed herself after a hard (?!!) day's work, the experience of cooking can be thrilling as well as (ahem!)..unexpected. Had a late start to my morning today, and as usual, I put in a mug of milk to heat for my coffee in the microwave, while doing the dishes from the night before. Two minutes later the oven pinged and I opened it, hoping to find my usual mug of hot steaming milk. But the Kitchen God had something else in mind for me this morning..I opened the oven, and BOOM the mug of milk exploded all over the place. For a few seconds I was knocked down senseless (believe at your own risk! :P) but when I came to, I couldnt figure out what had caused this KITCAT to happen. Yes, a KITCAT, a Kitchen Catastrophe! ;) I had to clean out the oven and refill another mug of milk, coz the KITCAT ensured that the oven and the rest of the kitchen counter had their morning share of hot steaming milk! ;)
My offering to the Kitchen God being done, I reset the mug of milk, hoping and praying that I get to have my coffee atleast this time round. My prayers were answered and I am having my coffee as I write out this entry.
I think KITCATS are the Kitchen God's way of saying..hey lighten up, life isnt that dull, yeah you have to go to work, but its not so bad..it could be worse..and BOOM He gives you an exploding mug of milk to prove His point! ;)
KITCATs come in a variety of shapes and sizes. Sometimes they are because the cooks get creative, and at other times, well it just happens. My favorite example of cooking creativity comes from a time long ago when this person I know was trying to boil an egg in the microwave. Against warnings of possible KITCATs, the voice of (un)reason prevailed, as the egg was successfully installed in a bowl of water and set to a temperature which could melt steel. Two seconds later, we heard a loud crash and boom, as not only had the egg splattered all over the oven, it had taken a good chunk off the bowl in which it was boiling as well.
Goes to prove that the Kitchen God does have a sense of humor, He provides us with the laughter and cheer we so need on an otherwise dull day! ;)
Happy cooking! :)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just started blogging,saw u'rs when i was searching for some music reviews of rahman. Even I like that song very muchhhh.And u'r blog today is funny i hope my blog title would be an apt reply for u'r posting.

Anonymous said...

Hey, what a nice peice of writting.. the humour is just too good. KITCAT is a good funda.... hahhaa, i shall use it as a part of my lingo too. You have proved ur creative genious today..... Now this is what blogging is meant for...........

Anonymous said...

Hilarious, mindblowing and what can I say, completely Mayuri ishtyle ;)

I really like when you say that KITCATS happen to make us realise that worse things can happen in our day! hahahha.. cheers to GREAT writing! Keep blogging :)
I put up a new post too :)

Anonymous said...

He he he he... - Thats a male laughter....
Bad humour unlike yours. Your great post just reminded me that I am a Kitchen God's messenger for my mother. I remember once I was grinding something in the mixer with the jar open leaving whole of the kitchen walls smeared with a delicious paste. Each of my cooking endeavors has been KITCATs. Don't know what am I reminding her of? Thankyou for coining such a cool term for my kitchen bravado - KITCAT.

Anonymous said...

good one...CAT...
Well, Cats end up getting CATs!
and some are no less than wild!
So thats a kitchen God's way of romance may be :P;)

Anonymous said...

Hey, try this one!

Melting frozen or solidified ghee/margarine in the oven. One of my KITCATs

:-)

Anonymous said...

KITCATs is a wonderful term! :P
Well, I had my share of them too, but I confined them to cracking sauce bottles and throwing down milk bowls :D