..AND INSIDE LOOKING OUT (for music related posts, please follow the link 'My Jukebox' listed under the blogs on this site) :)

Sunday, June 04, 2006

Selective Amnesia or early onset of senility??? I dont know which one it is, but a strange thing happened to me today. Went for my weekly groceries and on my way home stopped by the ATM to withdraw some cash. So I just put in the card as usual and well then comes the screen that asks me for my PIN number..and guess what? I had FORGOTTEN IT! It is one of the most regularly used numbers for me, its like forgetting one's phone number, and no I didn't do the "smart" thing by making my date of birth my PIN number! Anyways, I tried every possible combination, but nothing worked. Came home and frantically searched my papers, and lo and behold I had the answer staring in my face! Thank God for an organized paper filing system! ;)
Funnily enough I could remember ATM Pin numbers I had had in the past, say a few years ago-I even remember my IITM Bank ATM Pin number, but the current one just vanished out of my short term memory, it was like someone had erased that bit of information from my mind! Well, I since then been able to locate my number, it is ********! ;)
It is said that when one is preoccupied, one's brain, limited as it is in its storage capacity tends to forget the most important things. And guess what, there have been things on my mind, so much so that my afternoon nap isnt complete without a dream or two about it!
This too shall pass..hopefully!
Moral of the story: People reading this blog, please ensure that you have your essential numbers stored in multiple locations, do not rely on any one single source for all that info-your brain has limits to what it can take!!!! Mine sure does!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

note that you need two extra bytes to keep in memory after all it is a 6 digit number.

Anonymous said...

oh iv been in that situation too...and i dont even hv an organised filing system! had to rake it out of my brain a few days later and chk it up....
i usually remembered the pin with a formula connecting the digits...n i forgot that too at tht time!
now i hv other ways of keeping the info handy...
well...now when i wanna publish this..im unable to remember the rt combination of username password for blogger! been sometime since i used it...good tht we hv a "forgot password?" option here!